iPads were first released in April 2010. Since then, over 300 million iPads have been sold, and it is far and away the most popular tablet in the world. IPads are so popular in fact, that a young boy in China once sold his kidney, just to buy an iPad and an iPhone.
Schools are beginning to give them out to children to work on, parents are increasingly handing them to their kids as a distraction, and they are becoming less expensive and more powerful by the day.
The problem with iPads, is that they give off a large amount of EMF radiation, let me walk you through it.
Also, I just want to quickly mention that if you’re at all concerned about EMF radiation, you should take a second and check out Nicolas Pineault’s The Non-Tinfoil Guide to EMFs. It is an entertaining and extremely informative ebook on EMF radiation that I absolutely love.
Do iPads Emit Radiation?
Do iPads emit radiation? Like most tablets available today, iPads emit Radio Frequency in order to maintain Wifi connect, and connect with local cell towers if they are cell network enabled. iPads, much like cell phones, are constantly emitting radiation as they maintain connection, download updates, receive news alerts, app updates, weather alerts, etc. All of this requires a constant connection, which results in nonstop EMF radiation being emitted.
All the time, your iPad is emitting radiation, but the levels are most concerning when you are actively using it. Whether you are talking via Facetime, playing a game, watching a movie, or just about anything else, the radiation being emitted is increased as the phone receives data via wifi or cellular connection.
Consistent exposure to EMF radiation, sometimes called EMR, has constantly shown to cause all kinds of symptoms and health issues.
Now that we understand that iPads do in fact emit RF radiation, let’s take a look at exactly how much radiation they emit.
iPad Radiation Levels (Specific Absorption Rates)
If you aren’t aware, specific absorption rate, or SAR is a measurement used to determine how much radiation a device emits. For example, in the United States, the SAR limit for any device (including cell-phones) is 1.6 w/kg. That means for every killogram of bodyweight a person has, they cannot absorb more then 1.6 watts of rf radiation from a device.
Although this is not a perfect measurement of how dangerous a device is or even how much EMF radiation it will expose you too, it is a pretty good comparative measuring tool, and the only federally mandated check on radiation levels.
For the chart below that lists all known SAR limits of all available iPads, I broke each down into what the SAR level is for the WiFi only version, and what the SAR is for the cellular connected devices are.
Note: All SAR limits are based on the 1.6 W/kg limit and averaged over 1 gram of tissue. If two numbers are listed, that is because there is a slight difference between models, and i’m listing all available.
|SAR Levels of all Apple iPad Devices|
|iPad (Newest to Oldest)||SAR (WiFi and Cellular)||SAR (WiFi Only)|
|iPad (7th Gen||1.18/1.19||1.14|
|iPad Air (3rd Gen)||1.19||1.19|
|iPad mini (5th Gen)||1.18/1.19||1.19|
|12.9-inch iPad Pro (3rd gen)||1.19||1.17|
|11-inch iPad Pro||1.18/1.19||1.19|
|iPad (6th Gen)||1.18||1.18|
|10.5-inch iPad Pro||1.19||1.19|
|12.9 inch iPad Pro (2nd Gen)||1.19||1.19|
|iPad (5th gen)||1.18||1.18|
|9.7-inch iPad Pro||1.19||1.18|
|12.9-inch iPad Pro||1.19||1.19|
|iPad mini 4||1.183||1.19|
|iPad with Retina Display||1.19||1.19|
|iPad Air 2||1.19||1.19|
|iPad mini 3||1.197/1.1||1.18|
|iPad mini with retina display||1.19||1.19|
|iPad (3rd Gen)||1.19||1.19|
|iPad 2||1.19 (GSM) /1.15 (CDMA)||.99/.96|
Hopefully that chart gives you some idea of how much radio frequency radiation iPads emit. A few things you probably noticed:
- Most iPads emit around 1.19 W/kg of RF radiation
- The difference between cellular connected iPads and WiFi only iPads is actually fairly small in relation to SAR levels.
Now that we understand that, let’s look a few other things.
iPad With The Highest Radiation (SAR Levels)
According to Apple’s RF exposure webpage, which lists the SAR levels for all of their devices, the iPad with the highest radiation levels is the iPad mini 3 Cellular edition Model 1600 with a SAR level of 1.6 W/kg (over 1 g). This might surprise some people, but in reality this is only slightly above most other iPad models which average a SAR of 1.9.
If you look at the chart above that lists all iPad SAR levels, this is hardly different from any others, although it is technically the only iPad with a listed SAR level above 1.9 W/kg. In fact the iPad 2 is the only iPad with a SAR level under 1.
iPad With The Lowest Radiation (SAR Levels)
According to Apple’s RF exposure webpage, which lists the SAR levels for all of their devices, the iPad with the lowest radiation levels is the iPad 2 WiFi only model A1395 (EMC 2560) which has a listed SAR level of only .96 W/kg of bodyweight.
This actually does make sense, since the iPad two was released 9 years ago in March of 2011.
Common symptoms of EMF radiation exposure are:
- Fatigue – Most recognizable is fatigue even after what seemed like a full, or rest-full nights sleep, or fatigue that persists through the day.
- Trouble Sleeping – This one is extremely common, as peoples bedrooms have become a hotbed for EMF radiation. From cell-phones next to the bed, metal spring mattresses acting as antennas, to dirty electricity, EMF radiation while we sleep is extremely common. In fact, I wrote a whole article about how to rid your bedroom of EMFs and finally get a restful nights sleep, check it out here.
- Tinnitus – More commonly known as just ringing in the ears, it doesn’t always present as a ringing. Tinnitus is defined as the hearing of a consistent sound when no such external sound is present, and can actually present as a hissing, a clicking, a roaring, or a number of other sounds. This is common with severe Electo-hypersensitivity.
- Brain Fog – or cognitive decline, it is noticeable when you feel that your memory has been declining, or you’re having trouble recalling names, or places or events. It is also noticeable if you are having a tough time concentrating. Some scientists believe that the dramatic rise in Alzheimers Disease can be partially attributed to EMF damage and our wireless age. A study conducted at Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health found that the number of individuals suffering from Alzheimer’s is likely to triple by the year 2050.
- Chest Pain and Heart Palpitations – Often seen in patients with EHS, or any reaction to the EMFs around them, the feeling is similar to angina, when blood flow is restricted to the heart. Less severe, but still symptomatic can be a fluttering or racing heartbeat.
- Skin Reactions – Some people react with irritations to the skin like redness, tingling, or even a rash. This is most commonly present in the face and upper arms but can present nearly anywhere on the body.
Read my full post on EMF exposure symptoms to learn more.
A Doctor named Sarah Starkey, in a report titled “Information Supporting UK Organizations Associated with the International EMF Alliance” said that:
Microwave radiation absorbed from tablet computers (Wi-Fi) positioned close to the body can be similar to that from mobile phones as they have similar maximum specific absorption rate (SAR) values.
Average maximum SAR for a sample of 358 digital mobile phones is 1.02 W/Kg in 1g tissue (sarvalues.com; adult); iPad maximum SAR on Wi-Fi is 1.19 W/Kg in 1g tissue (iPad Information Guide; adult). Thus, wireless computers positioned close to the body could expose the users to similar levels of radiation as mobile phones.
If your iPad is enabled with 3g or 4g from your cellular carrier, it is likely to emit even more radiation, and more consistently as it continuously pings local cell towers to maintain a connection.
In addition, iPads will eventually support 5g, which will even be higher levels of radiation you could be exposed to from the tablet.
What Is A Safe Distance To Avoid iPad Radiation
Unfortunately, no distance from an iPad will be both safe, and convenient for use. As you can see from the following image, iPads consistently emit EMF radiation, enough to “negatively affect the operation of other electronic equipment.” Apple suggests keeping the iPad at least 6 inches away at all times if you have a pacemaker or other medical device.
The important takeaway is that distance really matters when it comes to EMF radiation. Even a matter of a few centimeters farther away can be exponentially safer.
This is why cell phone manufacturers, hidden in the small print, suggest keeping your phone at least 3 inches away from your head at all times because that distance significantly absorbs the amount of radiation being absorbed by your head and brain.
Try to get a case that has a foldable stand as part of the design, so that you can set the iPad farther away, and not have to hold it close to your face. For children, my personal opinion would be to either eliminate the use, or strictly limit its use, as it is not much safer than having them use a cell phone for extended periods of time.
Ways To Protect Against iPad Radiation
- The safest thing you can do is to eliminate or dramatically reduce the use of the device, as any use will inevitably increase your exposure to EMF radiation
- If you or your children are using an iPad to do anything that doesn’t require an internet connection, be sure to turn the device on Airplane mode. This will disable the wifi and cellular connections and dramatically reduce the amount of radiation being emitted.
- Distance is KEY, the further you can be away from the device, the better.
- Get an EMF Meter! This is important for anyone that cares about safety from EMF radiation. With a quality EMF meter, you can read the ambient radiation level in your home, as well as determining how much radiation is being emitted by various devices. This is also important when you’re looking to make changes because you can actually determine if they’re working. I personally have and love the new TriField TF2 (read my review) as it’s simple to use, lasts forever, is extremely accurate, and measures all three types of EMF radiation. If you’re looking for a low-cost EMF meter I really like the Meterk (read my review).
- Get a radiation blocking case like the one I use from Defendershield. I absolutely love this case and think it is the best on the market. You can also check out my full article on the best iPad and tablet radiation shields here.
Now that we’ve talked about whether iPads emit radiation and how we can protect ourselves from that radiation, let’s cover a few related questions.
Does the iPad Pro Emit More EMF Radiation?
The answer is a little bit complicated. First, I’ll just say that based on SAR levels, the iPad Pro models do not emit more EMF radiation or RF radiation. All Pro models have a SAR ranging from 1.17 – 1.19 W/kg, which is about average for an iPad.
Now, you may know that SAR is not a great real world measurement of radiation exposure levels. The fact that an iPad pro is more powerful, and capable of running at higher levels, means it could possible emit more magnetic radiation when running at full capacity.
The RF radiation from the device should be about the same as other iPads.
Do iPad Radiation Shields Work?
In fact, iPad radiation shields actually work quite well at blocking EMF radiation going in one direction. They are not a perfect solution as its impossible to block all RF and EMF radiation from an iPad and still use it. However, let’s say you use your iPad on your lap, and iPad radiation shield is going to do a good job and putting a barrier between the device and your body.
If you want to read way more about how these radiation shields work and which are the best to buy, I wrote up a complete guide.
iPads are essentially small, tablet sized, powerful computers. They have the negative EMF radiation dangers of both Cell phones, and Wifi connected computers, and are certainly not safe for extended use.
They are, however, extremely efficient and convenient devices that are used and loved by millions around the world. Just be sure that you are making smart, informed decisions when it comes to EMF radiation exposure, and doing your part to keep yourself and your family safe.