In 1932, a German doctor named Erwin Schliephake published scientific data in a medical journal, describing odd symptoms many of his patients were experiencing that lived or operated near local radio towers. Although he called it “microwave sickness”, many today know it is EHS, or electromagnetic hyper-sensitivity. Some of the EMF exposure symptoms he described in this journal were:
- Severe headaches
- Inability to sleep, or exhausting upon waking
- Frequent infection and illness
Although wikipedia still defines EHS as essentially a pseudo-illness; people are increasingly understanding just how impactful EMF radiation is to human health. Erwin Schliephake described 85 years ago, what we’re only starting to accept today, and what many are still trying to hide. It is estimated that as much as 30% of the population in developed nations is likely to experience one or more symptom of EHS, but like anything that affects our health, it affects some individuals much more than others.
EMF Exposure Symptoms
Most Common Symptoms of EHS
- Fatique – Most recognizable is fatigue even after what seemed like a full, or rest-full nights sleep, or fatigue that persists through the day.
- Trouble Sleeping – This one is extremely common, as peoples bedrooms have become a hotbed for EMF radiation. From cell-phones next to the bed, metal spring mattresses acting as antennas, to dirty electricity, EMF radiation while we sleep is extremely common. In fact I wrote a whole article about how to rid your bedroom of EMFs and finally get a restful nights sleep, check it out here.
- Tinnitus – More commonly known as just ringing in the ears, it doesn’t always present as a ringing. Tinnitus is defined as the hearing of a consistent sound when no such external sound is present, and can actually present as a hissing, a clicking, a roaring, or a number of other sounds. This is common with severe Electo-hypersensitivity.
- Brain Fog – or cognitive decline, it is noticeable when you feel that your memory has been declining, or you’re having trouble recalling names, or places or events. It is also noticeable if you are having a tough time concentrating. Some scientists believe that the dramatic rise in Alzheimers Disease can be partially attributed to EMF damage and our wireless age. A study conducted at Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health found that the number of individuals suffering from Alzheimers is likely to triple by the year 2050.
- Chest Pain and Heart Palpitations – Often seen in patients with EHS, or any reaction to the EMFs around them, the feeling is similar to angina, when bloodflow is restricted to the heart. Less severe, but still symptomatic can be a fluttering or racing heartbeat.
- Skin Reactions – Some people react with irritations to the skin like redness, tingling, or even a rash. This is most commonly present in the face and upper arms, but can present nearly anywhere on the body.
How Do You Know If You Suffer From EHS?
The tough thing about many of these symptoms, is that they are common with dozens, if not hundreds, of other ailments. For example, my wife has frequent headaches, she has all her life, but it is difficult to know what has been causing them, or what we can do about it. The best thing an individual that has tried other cures to these symptoms can do, is eliminate EMF radiation exposure, and monitor how this effects the symptoms. My wife had trouble sleeping, but we noticed this improved when we implemented many of the fixes I talk about in my post about how to eliminate EMFs in the bedroom. Now, neither my wife or I, thankfully, suffer from severe or even moderate EHS, but many people do. If you yourself, or if you know someone, that has many of these symptoms, and is constantly surrounded by electronics. I urge you to try and do what you can to reduce your EMF exposure. Go check out that post I wrote about how to eliminate EMFs in the bedroom, because it can be applied more generally to the home as well.
What Can You Do About Electromagnetic Hyper-Sensitivity
But at least start with the following changes:
- Not keeping your cell phone next to your bed
- Replacing CFL lightbulbs with typical incandescent bulbs
- Only turn your Wi-fi on when you need it
- Don’t stare at screens the few hours before bed.
- Do what you can to eliminate dirty electricity in the home (check out my post on dirty electricity)
Obviously there is much more you can do, but start with these simple things and see if they reduce the symptoms we talked about above. If the symptoms are reduced, or go away entirely in the absence or reduction of EMF exposure, then they were likely associated with EHS. Usually when this is the case for people, these symptoms are not cured, and will return if the same magnetic radiation exposure returns.
Although the symptoms above are by far the most common, dozens of other symptoms have been associated with EHS, here are some of the less common, but still fairly consistent symptoms you could experience.
Less common EHS Symptoms:
- Slow recovery from illness
- Feeling Less Productive
- Slurring of words
- Nausea or vomiting
If you suffer from some or many of these symptoms as well, try to do what you can to reduce your exposure to EMF radiation and wireless devices. See if the symptoms are eliminated or reduced in severity.
I’d love to hear what you thought of this post about EMF exposure symptoms, and if it was helpful. EMF Academy is my honest attempt to put helpful information out there, for myself, for my wife, and for everyone that wants a fuller understanding of Electromagnetic Frequency radiation and it’s harms.
Let me know what you thought in the comments below!