As the technology in our cars continues to advance, the radiation danger of these same cars increases. Friends, I know recently bought a brand new Toyota Rav4, and although the car is beautiful, I couldn’t help but notice all the electronics.
The car is surrounded by cameras to give a 360-degree view around the car, a huge screen to display everything, and electronics in and around the seats. All of these things provide amazing conveniences and safety features, but the amount of radiation being emitted is immense, and believe me, I checked.
Although most cars burn gas and oil for energy, the amount of electronics in our cars is growing with every new model. If you own an electric or hybrid car, this danger is even greater.
The other large problem is that when you’re inside of a car, the metal casing of the vehicle tends to keep this radiation trapped within, or at least bounce a good portion of it around. This is called the Faraday cage effect and has been shown to dramatically magnify the amount of radiation.
Let’s walk through why EMF radiation in our cars is a concern, and what the best devices are to protect us.
Also, I just want to quickly mention that if you’re at all concerned about EMF radiation, you should take a second and check out Nicolas Pineault’s The Non-Tinfoil Guide to EMFs. It is an entertaining and extremely informative ebook on EMF radiation that I absolutely love.
EMF Radiation In Your Car
EMF radiation from the electronics in your car will have both short-term and long-term health effects. Common symptoms and health issues of EMF Exposure are:
- Glioma and other brain cancers
- Male and Female Infertility (see my post for more on this)
- Mood Disorders
- Childhood Cancers
- Heart Disease
- Severe depression
- Heart Disease
- Muscle Pain
- and much more
For a much more in-depth look at common and uncommon symptoms, check out my full post on EMF Exposure Symptoms.
Another common issue with EMF radiation in cars is drowsiness. If you’ve read my post on EMF radiation in the bedroom, you’ll know that excess radiation in the bedroom causes all kinds of issues with sleep. When it comes to radiation in the car, this can result in drowsiness while driving.
A study by the Scripps Clinic in California determined that a high amount of radiation in automobiles caused drivers to fall asleep 52 minutes quicker than drivers who were not exposed to these high levels.
Do Hybrid Cars Have Higher Levels of EMF Radiation?
Generally speaking, hybrid cars will expose passengers and drivers to higher amounts of EMF radiation. This is primarily from the large batteries in the front and rear of the car.
These batteries utilize the much more harmful alternating current (AC) instead of the more commonly found direct current (DC). See my post on Dirty Electricity for an in-depth look at why this type of electricity is more dangerous.
Let’s take a closer look at the sources of EMF radiation in normal and hybrid cars.
Sources of EMF Radiation In Cars
- The Battery – Most car batteries are a form of DC power, and do not typically emit EMF Radiation consistent with AC power. However, they often will emit a powerful temporary field of DC voltage when changing currents, such as when the vehicle first starts. People that are especially EMF sensitive (suffer from EHS) are likely to respond to this.
- Vehicle Relay Switches – Many operations in the vehicle will cause these relay switches to fire, such as pressing the break, turning on the hazard lights, flipping a turn signal, etc. These relay switches create magnetic field radiation.
- Vehicle Computer Systems – These should be self-explanatory. Any type of computer system will emit a large amount of EMF radiation. Both the onboard computer that controls the media system, as well as engine compartment computers will emit radiation.
- Electric Engines – Most vehicles have small electric engines that control things like windows and wiper blades that will emit a small amount of radiation.
- Alternator – The vehicle alternator is one of the largest sources of EMF radiation. Most commonly found on the far side of the engine compartment, the alternator creates dirty electricity and EMF radiation as it alters the electrical waves to fit the needs of the vehicle.
- Key-less Entry Systems and Start Systems – Many new vehicles now no longer require a key but instead rely on radio waves from the remote control key, and a push button to start the vehicle. These more advanced systems utilize both radio waves, and Bluetooth radiation to control these systems, both of which emit EMF radiation.
- On Board Wifi – Wifi creates an enormous amount of radiation (read more about that here). Many vehicles are now coming equipped with Wifi routers built in so that families can be connected without having to rely on cell towers. This is EXTREMELY harmful as it produces an enormous amount of harmful radiation in very close proximity.
- Alarm Systems – Also utilizing radio waves, these alarm systems produce EMF radiation.
Although many of these only create a small amount of EMF radiation, the cumulative effect is quite large. Combine that with the fact that a metal box like a car has amplifying effects on radiation as it bounces around and accumulates.
How To Reduce EMF Radiation In Your Vehicle
- Try to select vehicles with the least amount of electronics and built-in computers systems. This will typically be older vehicles. Be sure you are not compromising other safety features by doing this such as modern airbag and other safety systems.
- Reduce radiation by choosing vehicles with simpler sound systems. Systems that utilize subwoofers and large speakers will inevitably produce much more EMF radiation. Tip: On the settings of your sound system, adjust it so that the rear speakers are providing most of the sound. This may lower the quality of some but will reduce the EMF exposure by increasing the distance between you and the speakers producing the sound.
- Avoid purchasing a vehicle with, or using, remote control systems when possible. If you already have a vehicle with these systems, try to hold the remote out a distance from your body when you use it.
- Try to select vehicles without the large LCD display screens. Not only is the light distracting and harmful, especially to those with EHS, but the radiation from the computer’s system can be quite significant. In most vehicles with these types of screens, you can not turn the screen itself off, but you may be able to have a technician retrofit an on/off switch.
- Avoid vehicles with built-in Wifi. Many new vehicles have a Wifi router built in. This is probably one of the most harmful things that car manufacturers could have done, as the amount of radiation coupled with the close proximity is extremely harmful.
- Try to pick vehicles with limited amounts of Bluetooth gadgets.
- Do not use your cell phone in the car. This should be self-explanatory, as it is not only distracting and dangerous but also produces EMF radiation. Turn your phone on airplane mode, or better yet, turn it off until you get to your destination.
- Try to keep electronics turned off while in the vehicle.
- Don’t buy a Tesla. Yes, this is oversimplified. However, although electric vehicles are becoming more popular, and may help reduce our carbon footprint, they also emit an enormous amount of EMF radiation, and should be avoided if you’re trying to reduce your exposure.
Measuring EMF Radiation In Your Vehicle
First of all, you will need a good EMF meter. This is extremely important for a lot of reasons but will be crucial for any step to reducing radiation. Having a quality EMF meter will allow you to determine what kind of radiation is being emitted by your vehicle, and how much This will also be crucial in understanding how different changes are improving this.
I have and absolutely love the new TriField TF2 (read my review) as it’s extremely easy to use, super accurate, and measures all three types of EMF radiation. If you’re needing a low-cost EMF meter, I really like the Erickhill.
Then, get a journal or a piece of paper, and use your EMF meter to get readings while the vehicle is running. Note how much RF, magnetic, and electric field radiation is being absorbed in different areas, such as your chest height, head height, etc for both the driver side and passenger side.
Note these amounts down. Then test the same spots with different systems on and off in order to gain a complete understanding of how you can reduce the radiation in your car. It may also be helpful to make a cell phone call while you are testing to see how much this increases the radiation.
Best EMF Protection For Cars and Vehicles
Alright, now let’s talk about products that may help us reduce our exposure to EMF radiation while in a vehicle. You’ll notice that this is pretty far down in this article. The reason is that taking steps to reduce your radiation by doing the things listed above is actually more important in my opinion than trying to just fix the issues with a product.
That isn’t to say that using the devices I talk about below isn’t worth it, I just always want to advocate reducing your exposure with smart decisions before I talk about products.
Alright, let’s look at some popular that I believe in.
1. Get a Lifetune Personal from Aires Tech
Purchase from Aires Tech here. (Use the code EMF25 for 25% off)
I’ve personally tested, used, and own over 100 EMF protection products, and I’m constantly testing new ones as they enter the market.
The unfortunate truth is that there are a lot of products entering the market that just simply do not work. These are being manufactured by companies that are just trying to make money off of people’s understandable concerns.
Luckily, there are some companies out there with integrity, that make quality EMF protection products that really work, and Aires Tech is one of them.
Not only have they spent over $10 million dollars just on research and development for their products, but they post all of their peer-reviewed studies, scientific publications, clinical trials and reports, and even patents, directly on their website.
They make a variety of different EMF protection products, but the one I would recommend that you keep on you, especially while in your car, would be the Lifetune Personal. With an effective range of about 50 square feet, the Lifetune Personal is the perfect amount of protection not only protect you from the EMF radiation emitted from your car, but also from any other electronics or radiation sources you have on you.
Not only that, but you can continue to keep the Lifetune Personal on you and be protected even when you’re outside the vehicle.
The way Aires Tech products work is a bit complicated, so I’d encourage you to check out their website where you’ll get all the information and proof you could ever need. However, I think this brief description summarizes it pretty well:
The electromagnetic radiation is concentrated by being drawn to the resonator antenna attached to the Lifetune Personal. The antenna draws the power of the electromagnetic field (EMF) into the microprocessor. An attenuator within the microprocessor diffracts the EMF and its energy level by creating a holographic cancelling electromagnetic wave which essentially reverses/cancels the original energy wave emitted by the source of EMF. This works somewhat like a noise canceling headphones that give you the best sound without the background noise.
I’d encourage you to just take a minute and check out their website where you can watch a short video showing their product in action and read about how it works.
If you’re thinking about purchasing anything, you can use the code EMF25 to get 25% off your purchase.
2. EMF Harmony Protection For Cars
EMF harmony isn’t a company I’ve talked about much before, however they have one of the best-reviewed EMF protection devices for cars available anywhere.
Essentially the product itself is a thin metal plate with an adhesive back. You don’t have to use the adhesive for the product to work, you can either use an adapter they sell or just place it in the vehicle somewhere.
The technology behind how this is supposed to work is a little complicated, so I’ll quote their website:
EMF Harmony products feature a unique dual-level technology that offers effective protection from the damaging effects of EMF radiation and support for the body’s health in its presence. The first level of action is a Direct Technology that harmonizes the negative energetic frequencies of the electromagnetic radiation to minimize its health impact. The second level of action is an Adaptive Technology that supports the cells in your body as they are stressed by the radiation, bringing their energy to an optimal level for good health.
They also mention that this technology used in their EMF protection car adapter has been used in “healthcare applications” in Europe for the past 20 years. Since the product protects at a sub-atomic level, it doesn’t block or alter the EMFs, allowing your car, phone, laptop, or whatever else to operate as it normally would.
Again, I can’t test this myself, so you’ll want to check out the company website and reviews and make up your own opinion about whether it works, and if so, how well it works.
However, since very few products currently exist to protect drivers in vehicles from the EMF radiation around them, I just have to lead you to the best-reviewed products available.
3. Aulterra Whole Car USB 5G EMF Neutralizer For Your Car
Check the current price on Amazon.
I’ve talked about Aulterra in other articles and have fully reviewed them before. They are a company that has been selling EMF protection products for over 20 years, long before it was even a mainstream concern. They have patents on their products and many independent studies.
Like the EMF Harmony product, I can’t actually test the products myself to know they for certain work, however, they do seem like a fairly reputable company to me.
Their flagship products in the past were their cell phone neutralizer, and their whole house plug. However, a few months ago they revamped their whole house plug and introduced their whole car neutralizer to their lineup. The whole car neutralizer plugs into the usb slot on a car charger that plugs into the cigarette lighter of your car.
Like the EMF harmonizer, the Aulterra car neutralizer doesn’t block or shield the EMFs (which could just make the problem worse in a car), but instead neutralizes their waves making them harmless to the human body. At least, that is what their literature seems to suggest, you’ll have to make up your own mind after checking out their website and reviews.
There are a few other products on the market, but they don’t seem as well-reviewed and I don’t know much about them, so I don’t want to comment yet.
I really hope you enjoyed this article and that you gained some information from it. If you did, please consider sharing it!
If you’re looking for a ton more information about how to protect you and your family from EMF radiation, check out all the articles in the Knowledge section, or consider checking out the HIGHLY recommended “Non-Tinfoil Guide To EMFs“.
You didn’t mention R.F. radiation from on board GPS systems or the fact that all cars now have government mandated radio transmitters on each of the tires on vehicles to send tire pressure readings back to the car’s computer.
Hey David! That is really helpful, I’ll look into these things.
To add to your list per my reading of Dirty Electricity by Samuel Milham, he noticed that steel belted radial tires create a field as well. Could you say more on this topic?
Hey Brian! That is interesting, I haven’t heard of that. I’ll look into it, thank you!
Hello Christian: Thank you for all you are doing in this field. You had a short article that basically asked a question, “should we be concerned about electronics in cars”? I say yes! Big time. I have an older car, a 2000 Mercury Grand Marquis. I am electrically sensitive and I have already reached the stage to where I cannot drive in heavy traffic. Especially if I am on a four lane or six lane road stopped at a traffic light surrounded by vehicles. That happened to me a week and a half ago and in a heavy traffic portion of town up the road from here every traffic light was red when I approached. Once stopped I felt as if I was on fire. My skin was burning all over and I was having anxiety attacks. After the light changed and I got away it let up, but as soon as I had to stop again and was surrounded again it started all over again. By the time I got to my chiropractor’s office I was trembling all over and burning all over. Blood pressure had gone up to 177/92. I had to turn around and go home and cancel the chiropractor appt. I can no longer go up there at all because of this and have to stay out of heavy traffic altogether. I can only see this getting a lot worse, especially with the self driving cars they are coming out with that have multiple radar transmitters on them among other things. I see a very bad future for a lot of us with this irresponsible use of run away technology. By the way, my back ground is in R.F. and audio communications systems with 35 years at John F. Kennedy Space Center in ground communications as well as several years as a commercial radio broadcast engineer until I had to resign because of EMF sensitivity. ————– Thanks again: Dave W.